Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Online Assignment 3






     My results from the VALS survey claim that I am a "striver" and an "experiencer." I can't say I completely agree with the results after reading the given descriptions of strivers and experiencers. According to the website, strivers are mainly focused on materialism and consumerism and I guess I would be lying if I said i didn't like to shop but as far as being a "trendsetter" or keeping up to par on the latest fashion, I can't say that I really care one way or another. Strivers are also people who base their success on the money they make and aren't typically able to move ahead in life due to their lack of skills. I personally wouldn't measure my accomplishments by the dollar, if I'm doing something that makes me happy, then I'm doing something right. I also like to think that I have some skills that can get me to where I want to be in the future. On another note, I'm neither interested in Chevrolets, winning the lottery, OR playboy.
     I was also considered an experiencer and according to the site, an experiencer is someone who needs action in their lives, they are impulsive consumers, and spend the majority of their income on fashion, entertainment, and socializing. I'd say I spend about as much on clothes, concert tickets, and other social events as any typical college student on a budget. I don't necessarily splurge on things that I know would be of no use. I can agree with needing action in my life; I like to keep myself occupied with sports and I'm always up for anything thrilling to do. Its hard to say that this survey is completely accurate because there are a lot of different components of a person that must be considered before they can be given a label. If the survey went into greater detail about personal interests as opposed to broad questions that then maybe the results would be a bit more precise.

No comments:

Post a Comment