Monday, May 6, 2013

Online Assignment 4 - Facebook

Facebook Profile Download Response

Let me be the first one to say that I thought doing this was probably the most interesting thing I have done on my laptop in a long time. 

The first place I went to in my downloaded profile was my videos.  I did not remember almost all of the videos that I posted on Facebook until I watched all of them again and relived those moments.  There was a video I made in high school for a class project, a video of my and my friends on my boat, and much more.  Needless to say those videos brought me back to those good times for sure.

Additionally, I made the mistake of going through all my messages as well.  You can definitely tell how many times I went through phases with girls during my Facebook career, as evident of the number of messages being exchanged back and forth.  Some flings were obviously better than others, and the messages were an interesting way of reliving some of those moments.  

One thing that struck me as surprising is that all the messages that I ever sent were not included in the packet.  I know this because I dated a girl for a significant length of time and there are only a couple conversations included in the packet.  Maybe Facebook knows something I do not know by deleting these messages so I cannot reread them! 

As far as judging how creepy or weird this is, I must say I really do not have a problem with it.  As long as my messages are not available for anyone to see, I do not have a problem with looking into my profile and giving me relevant ads to my page.  In all honesty I would rather have ads that are tailored to my interests than being bombarded by random ads for diapers or something of the sort.  I don't know how much information advertisers know about me, and I am really ok with that.  I believe this is a case where the least you know, the better off you will be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment