Monday, May 13, 2013

homework4

Honestly, I wasn't really surprised by much that I found. I don't use Facebook a lot, but it did have pictures that I'd uploaded years ago, which was fun to look at. Most all of the information is still on my profile today, nothing surprised me about what they still had. Overall, it was a very complete picture of my Facebook usage. Events and conversations that I didn't even remember were also stored. I'm actually impressed at the storage capabilities of Facebook, given that they have over half a billion users.

 I think the extent to which Facebook keeps information is somewhat creepy, but understandable. I'm their product, not the other way around. I don't expect a service like Facebook to have no cost. Honestly, I don't have much on Facebook that I really care about them keeping. Yes, some basic info such as my age and school are on there, but Facebook selling this information doesn't really hurt me. The costs of me using the site are all taken care of without me even noticing. I think it's a good deal. No, I don't think it is a privacy invasion. All the information they have has been given to them. Facebook, although popular, is optional. People need to focus on protecting their information on their end of the equation. Don't rely on Facebook to guard and take care of your personal information. Just don't give it to them in the first place. Ultimately, they are a business, and a big one at that. Their privacy policies shouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment